My guess is that if stereo were as easily and conveniently available as a MacBook Pro in a coffee shop (where I'm writing this email) people would probably use it more. That means no ginormous CTRs, no dimming the lights, no walking over to the molecular visualization center for checking a bit of debatable density, no glasses that make a lasting and painful impression on the bearer's nose.

I remember that I found stereo quite useful while I had it around but ended up migrating to the LCD screens because they strained my eyes less. What made the transition easy were dials. Flicking the molecule back and forth by a few degrees about a fixed axis helped me tremendously get a realistic three-dimensional impression. I would sit with one hand on the dials for 'virtual stereo' and the other on the mouse for navigation, selecting, building. With the mouse only, I find that sooner or later my molecule tumbles from its (carefully chosen) starting position. For that reason, I'd really love to see dials support in coot.

Two years ago (Where would we be without Google?), Paul wrote in an email that coot supports the PowerMate (that Kevin had just bought). Is that still true? In that case, the entire discussion above would be moot, and I should just get a PowerMate.

Andreas