  From: amit sharma
  To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
  Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:03 AM
  Subject: [ccp4bb] Quick-soak

  Dear CCP4bbers,
  I have a protein molecule(~9.0 kDa) that crystallized in the presence of
0.15M KBr and HEPES pH 7.0. Since there is no homologuous structure present, I
intend to perform heavy metal derivatization. I read some literature which
suggested that I could carry out quick soak with 0.5M Sodium iodide. I was
wondering if I could soak my crystals with a similar concentration of NaBr and
collect some low resolution data at the in-house source? In addition should I
try to also introduce other heavy metals? it might be worth mentioning that my
protein carries no methionine/cys residues.
  I have no prior experience in doing this. So, it would  be of great help if I
could be directed towards literature/protocols pertaining to this. Any
advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks in advance
  --
  Amit Sharma