I would strongly argue against protein crystals (in most cases) being solid state. Most of the surface of a molecule is actually solvated and protein crystals as they are miss some of the typical properties of "solid state". Although in some cases oligomerization occuring upon protein crystallization indicates fairly strong interactions between molecules, still the crystals are actually half liquid. This is the main reason why many ligand exchange and activity studies could be performed even in protein crystals.

Quite often (I think) protein crystallographers would actually like their crystals to really behave like solids (stability, localization of disordered regions, etc.)
no need for cryoprotection and it is hard to make them ...

Jan Dohnalek
IMC Prague

Jayashankar wrote:
Here we are dealing with two different state of chemistry,
solid state and solution state, If one of the minima in solid state resembles the biological state minimum, then there is a possiblw way to clearly define the biology and its significant interaction of that particular 'mer' of a protein, other wise we end
up with  pure physical interaction.

But my question is have we answered Wouldn't the high concentration in the crystallization drop further favor dimerization? this part ...

S.Jayashankar
Research Student
Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
Hannover Medical School