Here are some numbers
Matthew.Franklin:

Okay.

Start: 71.9 F
Finish: 73.1 F

Temperature measured with thermocouple Scotch-taped to the center of the microscope stage, underneath an empty 96-well plate. Room thermostat set
to 70.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking about fiberoptics and not the halogen light directly under the tray. Still I always had the impression that there's a significant temperature difference when using the fiberoptics for a long time e.g when mounting crystals.

The microscope in question is a Zeiss and the $ difference between LED & halogen is about 2.5K in favour of the LED system. I have seen the LED version and it seemed good to me - but I have not looked at crystal trays of course.

I'll post a summary in a few days.

Thanks for all your replies so far,

Jürgen

-
Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, W8708
615 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: +1-410-614-4742
Fax:      +1-410-955-3655