Hi Darren,
I can recommend another free tool: pDRAW32 ( http://www.acaclone.com/ ).
It runs natively under Windows but I am using it with the emulator wine
on Linux.

Cheers,
christian

Darren Hart wrote:
> Hello,
> After several years of offering the molecular biology software VectorNTI
> free to the academic community (their "open access program") and building
> up a huge user base, Invitrogen have suddenly announced that they will no
> longer renew these free licences and the existing ones will be left to
> expire within the year. There are heavy renewal fees for anyone wishing to
> continue use of this software.
>
> Can anyone recommend decent alternative PC compatible alternatives? Main
> uses are construct and primer design, plus simple quick alignments,
> sequence data analysis etc. The database structure for storing sequences
> was pretty useful also.
>
> Ideally free, otherwise reasonably priced. I've seen CLCbio and Geneious
> have products, both free and paid. Any experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Darren
> EMBL Grenoble
>
> ps anyone using VNTI might consider a backup of their work by exporting
> files to .gb format. I don't know if a locked up (expired) version permits
> this and you will have no notice that it is about to expire.

Dr. Christian Biertümpfel
Laboratory of Molecular Biology

NIDDK/National Institutes of Health              phone: +1 301 402 4647
9000 Rockville Pike, Bldg. 5, Rm. B1-03          fax:   +1 301 496 0201
Bethesda, MD 20892-0580
USA