Dear experts,

here is a Refmac question (or at least a refinement question):

the case: data set was collected at the synchrotron with high intensity or
better high total dose. Data set scales to 1.2A resolution.
Refinement with refmac5_0066, using hydrogens, anisotropic B-factors, automatic
weight (actually 17.9), 235 amino acids, approx. 450 waters, several ions and
buffer/crystallization compounds, a hell of second and third side chain
conformations, present R-fac 12.6, free-R 15.6.

I think I'm seeing a (partial) backbone break (negative DelFwt density for
backbone atoms at 3.5sig within coot) due to radiation damage in a surface
loop. I see clear missing COOH- and Guanidinium-groups in other parts of the
model!!

As a consequence, the protein adopts a second (backbone) conformation (clear
positive DelFwt at 4.0sig) for an alpha-helix. But some of the second
conformation residues are not visible.
conformation B (aa212-219) ~ 30% occupancy, no density (flexibility??? /
deletion ???) for aa206-211.

Refmac always link aa212, conformation B to aa211, conformation A. But, the CA
distance between Calpha atoms of aa212 is / should be about 5A.

How to address the "non-restraint" between these amino acids, or vice versa to
address a (partial) chain break?

Furthermore I see "partial" waters at a (second) side chain
conformation/position. Is it also possible to release the restraints for these
waters to atoms of the second side conformation?

It is really important to do it right, since the second conformation residues
change the active site with a bound ligand.

Every hint or work-around is highly appreciated.
May be I have to use SHELXL?

Regards
Michael

--
Dr. Michael Weyand                 mail: michael.wey...@mpi-dortmund.mpg.de
   Max-Planck-Institut fuer molekulare Physiologie, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 11