Gerard DVD Kleywegt wrote:

Congratulations, James. But surely you could have found a better example of medical imaging? For instance, here:

http://www.ibeatyou.com/competition/867945/craziest-x-ray/entry/be24b3/coke-bottle

--dvd

Unfortunately, (unlike the infamous coke bottle image), this medical image is not fake. The uppermost screw is now out and I am thinking of making a keychain or something out of it. The other two stay in my fibula forever, so I am "permanently screwed". The diffraction pattern is real as well (and also mine). Multiplying the two together is the only "fake" thing I did. Original images are here:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/JSR_cover/

In actual fact, putting one's foot into a 12 keV x-ray beam would just give you a foot-shaped shadow. The penetration depth of 1 A x-rays into crystals and crystallographers alike is only about 4 mm (details in Holton, JSR 2009). However, if we ever build a 100 keV diffraction beamline, then images such as this will become possible.

I am proud to say that despite the slippery sidewalk I did make it to the final morning session of RD5. My ortho surgeon tells me that it was a bad idea to finish that walk, but oh well, it was worth it to see the talks. I did miss the organizational meeting at the end, but it is my understanding that most of the attendees were of the opinion that putting my x-rays on the cover of the special issue was a "brilliant" idea. I'm glad the JSR editors agreed.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist