Hi Amit,

I wouldn't worry about acetate depleting the Sm3+. I have tried to make a derivative of a kinase by soaking ions of lanthanoid series but in the presence of phosphate buffer and ADP. In this case, lanthanoid ions are *known* to precipitate with phosphate (and phosphoryl moiety). I simply spun down the precipitate and took the clear but colorful supernatant for soaking. A successful ADP-2Ho derivative for phasing is reported in Acta D 2007 63:493-9. (Failed cases were rejected by JFCE on April 2.)

Shao-Yang

Quoting "amit sharma" <3112a...@gmail.com>:

Dear All,

I have a crystal growing in the presence of 0.1M Sodium Acetate pH 5.0, 10%
PEG4000, 7.5% Dioxane and 10% Ethylene Glycol. I wanted to know if it would
be alright to use Samarium chloride for derivatization. I am worried about
the leaching of samarium by acetate. Also, what soak times can I use and
what conc. of Samarium chloride? My protein is 10 kDa , has no
cysteines/methionines and  pI for the molecule is 4.6. Also, could somebody
suggest what other heavy atom soaks could be performed in this case?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

--
Amit Sharma