Sanishvili, Ruslan wrote:
.......... Reasons for discriminating
5-10 micron beams (minibeam) from ca 1 micron (microbeam) might have been not so much their size but what it involved to achieve these sizes.

Might I ask - do you really get data from 1 micron protein crystals? The reduction in scattering power (==crystal volume) from 5x5x5 microns to 1x1x1 is 125 and so it seems to present a grand challenge. I had understood there to be a more fundamental size limit, coming from radiation damage, which is still several microns for typical proteins. Do you suggest that ~1 micron sized crystals are no longer exclusively in the domain of powder diffraction? Millions of crystals working together to increase the signal does help a lot for such tiny ones :-)

Going back to the original question, with 'nano' instead of 'micro', the FDA has defined [1] a "100 nm size-range limit of nanotechnology".

Name suggetions for 100nm - 999 nm are most welcome. Are they "submicron"?

Cheers,

Jon

[1] http://www.fda.gov/nanotechnology/regulation.html