On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 05:22:25PM -0500, Pete Meyer wrote:
> > P.S. I would also appreciate the specific query type for searching the
> > PDB on the web for phasing method (MR, MAD, SAD, MIR, etc.).  They seem
> > to have everything under the sun searchable, but I cannot find this one.
>
> Last time I emailed the RCSB about this (a few years back), it wasn't
> possible to search by phasing method.  You can try using advanced search
> -> keyword search -> advanced and doing a full text search, but this is
> somewhat less than ideal.  To be fair though, I suspect relatively few
> people searching the PDB are concerned about the phasing method used.

Funny, I was looking at that just the other day. You basically need a
local copy of the PDB and do some ugly grep/awk into the PDB files
... at least thats what I do (there might be better ways). Anyway, as
of 28.04.2009 we have a total of 48969 entries with a line

  REMARK 200 METHOD USED TO DETERMINE THE STRUCTURE:

which show (no guarantee!):

 Molecular replacement          = 26436
 Undefined (i.e. NULL, N/A etc) =  9349
 MAD                            =  4125
 SAD                            =  3028
 Fourier methods                =  2929
 MIR                            =  1706
 SIR                            =   512
 Direct methods, ab initio      =   327
 Rigid-body refinement          =   186
 RIP                            =     3
 UNKNOWN (everything else)      =   504

This might add up to more than the total number of entries, since some
have several methods listed. I tried to accomodate mis-spellings -
lots of them available:

 MOLECULARE REPLACEMENT
 MOLECULAR REPLECEMENT
 MOLECULAR REPLCEMENT