With the disclaimer that I have yet  to work with a flavoprotein, is there
enough FAD around in your culture to allow for proper folding of your
protein ? Maybe adding riboflavin to you media, or trying ultimately to
refold you protein from inclusion bodies (which will be very pure) in the
presence of  FAD may work. A quick search in the journal Protein Expression
and Purification suggests the latter has been done a few times.

Stephen Weeks