Chris

Isopropanol is said a very good precipitant but it's unpopular because it's
so difficult to harvest crystals

However there's a very convenient way to grow and harvest crystals in
isopropanol using Vapor Batch plates.

Basically you set up microbatch-under-oil drops containing all the
ingredients except for the isopropanol, and cover with Al's Oils (silicone
mixed with paraffin oil).  Then you put e.g. in your case 25% isopropanol in
the reservoir around the outside of the Vapor Batch plate.  Over a few hours
the isopropanol will diffuse through the Al's Oils into the drops.

The great advantage is that the oil also becomes saturated with isopropanol
(they are only partially miscible in fact) so that the oil acts as a barrier
when you're harvesting crystals.

You can usually convert vapor diffusion conditions to microbatch in a single
24-well experiment where you vary protein against precipitant.

You don't need to remove the oil to collect data.

This is all described in Lesley Haire's winning entry to a competition we
organized a few years ago: http://www.douglas.co.uk/winner1.htm

See also Mortuza et al. High-resolution structure of a retroviral capsid
hexameric amino-terminal domain.  Nature 431 (2004), pp 481-485.

The Vapor Batch plate can be seen at http://www.douglas.co.uk/vb.htm

If you or anyone on the b.b. would like to try some samples of Vapor Batch
plates just let me know

Best wishes

Patrick

--
patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
DouglasHouse, EastGarston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG177HD, UK

http://www.douglas.co.uk
Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36