Hi all,

I'm currently trying to crystallise a two domain protein which contains several structurally important disulfides. We have a high resolution structure of one domain (~1.4 A resolution), which reveals quite a few solvent-exposed lysines, some of which are involved in crystal-contacts.

The two-domain construct also crystallises, but the only crystals obtained after extensive optimisation are stacks of thin-plates that show poor diffraction (multiple lattices, streaky spots) to around 3 A.

I would like to attempt modification of the lysine residues by reductive methylation or cyclic pentylation (in the hope of improving morphology and/or diffraction), but I am worried that the reducing conditions required for the reaction (due to the presence of the dimethylaminoborane complex) will disrupt the native disulfides and result in protein aggregation or denaturation. Does anyone have any experience with reductive methylation of disulfided proteins, or know of any references describing the same?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver Clarke.

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the
sender.