Hari,

What twin tests have you run? Results? If your data really is P43212 and you drop to P212121 you will still have the additional two-fold operator in your data. An operator is a mathematical operator, which could be crystallographic or twin.

I never refine a structure with twin refinement from the beginning (even if I suspect it is twinned). I do iterative rounds of model building and conventional refinement until I cannot get the R-factor any lower. Depending on many factors (resolution, twin fraction, etc.), I usually get stuck in the mid-30's. At this point I will investigate twin refinement or other possible SG's.

If you start using twin refinement too early in the model building process, I have seen programs report much too low R-factors and exaggerated twin fractions. Probably, a programmer like Garib or Peter could comment on why.

Jon