d*TREK will process compressed images with the following extensions: .gz
.bz2 .Z .pck and .cbf

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Ian
Tickle
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:25 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Processing compressed diffraction images?

All -

No doubt this topic has come up before on the BB: I'd like to ask about the
current capabilities of the various integration programs (in practice we use
only MOSFLM & XDS) for reading compressed diffraction images from
synchrotrons.  A...

cluster: the disk I/O is the bottleneck.  Now you could argue that we should
spread the load over more disks or maybe spend more on faster disk
controllers, but the whole point about disks is they're cheap, we don't need
the extra I/O bandwidth for anything else, and you shouldn't need to spend a
fortune, particularly if there are ways of making the software more
efficient, which after all will benefit everyone.

Cheers

-- Ian