Hi Tim thanks for that, sorry yes I missed that page.  But I'm still
not clear: is it uncompressing to disk or is it doing it in memory?  I
assume the latter: if the former then obviously nothing is gained.
You're right about the compression factor, it's more like a factor of
2 or 3, I should have looked at the image in question as the one I
picked had no spots!

Cheers

-- Iam