Charles Ballard schrieb:
> Hi Francois
>
> configure linux_intel_compilers
>
> should do the trick.  We distribute ccp4 built with the intel compilers for
> OS X.  Part of this is that the macs cover a much smaller range of cpus than
> linux boxes, so optimisation is less of a problem.  If you want speed make
> sure that you are compiling for your architecture.
>
> My feeling, and I haven't checked this for some time, is that the intel
> compilers are a bit faster, 5-10% max, but that the gnu compilers have been
> closing the gap.

true

> A pointed out by the previous post the intel compilers basically have an
> assert that goes if CPU=MD then stop.  A number of years ago somebody
> published how to remove this from the code, and more recently intel lost a
> restrictive practice law case over it.  So hopefully it will go away.

That gives the wrong impression, I'm afraid. Intel mentions AMD
processors in their Release Notes and compiler documentation. Please
check out
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-supported-operating-systems/
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-intel-ia-32-processor-targeting-options/
and most importantly,
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-sse-generation-and-processor-specific-optimizations-continue/

In short, Intel compilers do not optimize specifically for AMD CPUs, but
they do for Intel CPUs. As the manufacturer knows the instruction set of
each CPU best, they are hardly to blame for that.

There are compiler benchmarks at
http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05-linux-f90bench_AMD0html - that gives you
the information about how fast ist ifort on AMD, compared to other
compilers.

HTH,

Kay

> Charles Ballard
> CCP4
>
> ps- a lot of ccp4 is highly io dependent, so fast disks with decent cache can
> make a lot of difference
>
> On 18 May 2010, at 01:58, Francois Berenger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is not what you asked for, but I think
>> it is good to know: Intel compilers don't seem
>> to like non-Intel CPUs:
>>
>> http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?iI
>>
>> Regards,
>> F.
>>
>> Terry Lang wrote:
>>> Hey Everyone,
>>>      I am considering switching from gcc to the Intel compiler in the hopes
>>> of making some of calculations run a bit faster.  Has anyone ever tried
>>> compiling the ccp4 code base with the Intel compilers?  Is there a
>>> difference in speed?  What about in the reproducibility of the
>>> calculations?  Any changes in statistics?  Any information would be greatly
>>> appreciated!
>>> Thanks,
>>> Terry

--
Kay Diederichs                http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de
email: kay.diederi...@uni-konstanz.de    Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183

This e-mail is digitally signed. If your e-mail client does not have the
necessary capabilities, just ignore the attached signature "smime.p7s".