I believe that Francois is correct in saying that a
feature of intel compilers is that they do not work
well on non-intel CPUs. Can't imagine why that would be.
If you have a an intel CPU then using an intel compiler
would be an advantage. Code optimization is usually
architecture specific, so fiddling with the compiler
options may also make a difference.

Adam