Dear Patrick,

I have Oryx robot in our lab. I got my  initial crystallization hit from
sitting drop vapor diffusion method. This hit can be reproduced by sitting
drop through spontaneous nucleation with many tiny crystals after around 1
week but  seeding into sitting drop failed and I found once I opened slide
and let the drop exposed to air even for a few second, it will turn turbid
instantly and I think this might be the reason why seeding in sitting drop
is not workable as most protein precipitated and protein concentration
dropped very low and seeds implanted inside might be dissolved quickly even
after certain periods of equilibration before seeding. That is the reason I
want to seperate my drop from air by adding oil on it and then try seeding
under oil. Also microbatch under oil might prevent skin formation and
maintain protein concentraiton at relatively high level to support seed
crystal growth.

Best regards,

Donghui

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Patrick Shaw Stewart <patr...@douglas.co.uk