First, you will need CCP4 installed and set up properly. You will also need to know your protein sequence. Put the latter into a text file (FASTA format will do).

Next, download the file "Elves" from:
http://ucxray.berkeley.edu/~jamesh/elves/download.html

then type:
chmod a+x Elves
Elves /path/to/data/frames/ ./proteinsequence.txt

If you don't know how to answer any of the questions Elves ask you, then the default is usually the best choice. If the structure can be solved from the data, this will do the trick most of the time (~80% in my tests). Things they don't handle well are twinning and severe radiation damage.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

Qing Lu wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to protein crystallography. I would like to know the steps involved in solving a MAD dataset by using the program in CCP4 where you determine the phases and then obtain the trace. The dataset is collected at 3 different wavelengths (peak, inflection and remote) using Se-Met as the scatterer. The crystals diffracted to resolution of 2 Angstrsoms and has a good anomalous signal.

Thanks,

Qing Lu