Compare these two lines from phenix.refine:
REMARK   3   NUMBER OF REFLECTIONS             : 46001
REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET COUNT      : 2339

with those from refmac, ostensibly using the same data and start pdb:
REMARK   3   NUMBER OF REFLECTIONS             :   43672
REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET COUNT      :  2339

I know there are 46011 reflections with |F|>0 in the files I used.
phenix.refine removes 10 of these as outliers. The 46001 remaining reported in REMARK 3 *include* the test set.

With REFMAC, 43672+2339=46011 so it appears that Refmac reports just the *working* set count in that first line, excluding the test set.

Is this is a bug with one program or the other, or a bug in the PDB definition of REMARK 3 ? http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/format23/remark3.html

This appears to be a source of inconsistency.

phenix.refine 1.6-289
refmac5 5.4.0077      (I'm apparently a Luddite)

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton