Phil,

I think the PDB documentation in this area (such as it is) is unclear,
and it's not easy to fathom what was the original intent.  The first
line you refer to:

REMARK   3   NUMBER OF REFLECTIONS             :

appears in the section with the sub-heading:

REMARK   3  DATA USED IN REFINEMENT.

Arguably, and this was my initial impression, the test set is not
'used' in refinement, i.e. it has no effect on the refined parameters
(except possibly indirectly via adjustment of the weights).  So on
that basis, Refmac is correct, the number of reflections 'used' should
*exclude* the test set.

However the second line you refer to:

REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET COUNT      :

appears in the next section with the other cross-validation info, with
the sub-heading:

REMARK   3  FIT TO DATA USED IN REFINEMENT.

and seems to contradict this, since its use of the word 'used' (i.e.
in the wider sense of the reflections merely being read in by the
refinement program and passing the various rejection tests) clearly
does imply that the test set is *included* in the count of 'used'
reflections.  So it all comes down to what is meant by 'used'.

Cheers

-- Ian