How about using static light scattering to determine the actual molecular
weight or dynamic light scattering to measure the diameter of the complex.

Sheemei

________________________________
From: Jürgen Bosch <jubo...@jhsph.edu>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2010 11:00:24
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Native Gel Theory and Practice

Here's just one example, which I quickly found from
Reisinger and Eichacker. Isolation of membrane protein complexes by blue native
electrophoresis. Methods Mol Biol (2008) vol. 424 pp. 423-31

Now Jacob has A 22 kDa B 17 kDa, the charge can be disregarded in BN PAGE.

If we do the math for all the theoretical complexes and assume globular shape
for all of them.78 AABB (22+22+17+17)
61 AAB (22+22+17)
56 ABB (22+17+17)
39 AB (22+17)
22 A
17 B

I'd use a higher percentage gel 10-20% then you should be able to separate the
6 species mentioned above.

Jürgen
P.S. just trying to be helpful

Yes, you can separate by electrophoresis, that's why we use it, but we

-