I mentioned to to Chris already, but we use nothing but HyClone
SFX-Insect powder.  We make 20-30 L batches, sterilize with a large
peristaltic pump and a disposable Millipak filter from Millipore.  We
never have contamination problems that are due to preparing our own
media from powder.  We buy 10L bottles of powder.  This media works
great for baculovirus, stable cells, Sf9, Sf21, Tn5.  We prefer it
over Invitrogen (why have separate media for Sf9 and Tn5 cells?), and
it's cheaper too!  We no longer use serum media for anything (virus
production and amplification, all goes fine in serum free.  Serum
helps storing viral stocks for long periods).  It's ~$26 per L, plus
$1-$2 in filter costs (a $30 filter will sterilize ~30 L of media).
So it comes to about ~$28/L, I haven't priced out alternative products
recently, but I think liquid from Invitrogen runs around $50/L?

We also use the peristaltic pump for tangential flow filtration, it's
pretty heavy duty (tubing is like 5/8" thick).  I think that help make
the filtering efficient.  Bottle top filters won't work because they
foul to quickly, same is try of 4.5 cm filter discs that you can
insert into an in-line filter, they clog after 1 L or so.  You need
the 'asymmetric' filter material offered by Millipore in the Millipak
or Steripak filter (the later is the filter you see attached to a
MilliQ water dispenser, it can be autoclaved 3X they claim)

Hope that helps,
Nat