Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position to work on the structure determination of membrane transport proteins critical in cardiovascular function. The transporters we study have been linked to human disorders such as cardiomyopathy, ischemia-reperfusion injury, and various cancers. Our aim is to understand the molecular regulation of the transporters with the goal of rational design of novel inhibitors and activators. We seek an enthusiastic candidate experienced in macromolecular x-ray or electron crystallography. Several projects are currently available, including 2D and 3D crystals of membrane transport proteins and 3D crystals of soluble regulatory proteins. Experience with membrane protein biochemistry would be an asset. In addition, the successful candidate should be well-versed in one or more of the following areas: molecular biology, protein purification, crystallization, and membrane protein biochemistry.

This is an opportunity to join a lab experienced in the expression and crystallization of membrane proteins [See Biophysical Journal (2006) 90:4213-23, JBC (2007) 282:9748-57, JBC (2008) 283:4145-54, and JBC (2009) 284:13513-8]. Our department provides interaction with numerous structural biologists. In addition, the University of Alberta Membrane Protein Research Group provides a dedicated forum for membrane protein research that includes 14 research laboratories (http://www.mprg.med.ualberta.ca/index.php ).

The University of Alberta, located in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada), is home to a large and interactive community of biomedical scientists http://www.med.ualberta.ca/; support and facilities for structural biology are excellent. A state-of-the-art facility is available for electron microscopy at the National Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Alberta (http://nint-innt.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/research/micro/index_e.html), and a newly commissioned synchrotron facility is located a short drive away. Edmonton, having a population of approximately 1 million, offers a cosmopolitan environment with world class performing arts, sports, culinary and recreational opportunities. In addition, the city’s proximity to the Rocky Mountains including the towns of Jasper and Banff is an additional bonus.

Salary is commensurate with training and experience at competitive rates. A comprehensive medical and dental benefit package is included with salary. Postdoctoral fellowship awards are also available through several competitive funding agencies, including the Canadian Institutes for Health Research and Alberta Innovates – Health Solutions. The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons. The records arising from this competition will be managed in accordance with provisions of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPP).

Please direct CV's or inquiries to Dr. Howard S. Young at the following email address: hyo...@ualberta.ca.

Howard S. Young, PhD
Associate Professor & AHFMR Senior Scholar
Biochemistry, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7
(780)492-3931

National Institute for Nanotechnology,
National Research Council of Canada

Membrane Protein Research Group
(http://www.mprg.med.ualberta.ca/group-members.php)

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.