Dirk,

Apologies, my last e-mail was incomplete, I meant to say that there
was one thing I should have added:

>From Table 2 in the paper the expected Rfree/Rwork ratio comes out as:

      < Rfree / Rwork >  =  sqrt( (f+m') / (f-m') ) = sqrt( (x+1) / (x-1) )

where x = f / m' = no of X-ray data / effective no of parameters, i.e.
what I'm calling the 'observation/parameter ratio'.  Note what happens
as x -> 1 !

This shows the direct relationship between Rfree and the obs/param
ratio defined in this way.  Note that this definition comes straight
out of the algebra, I didn't have to introduce it.  If the form of the
obs/param ratio that you are suggesting came out of the algebra in the
same way I would be happy to accept it, but AFAICS it doesn't.

Cheers

-- Ian