From: Boaz Shaanan [mailto:bshaa...@bgu.ac.il]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 5:18 PM
To: Clayton, Gina Martyn
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Twinned data

Hi  Gina,

I've had a similar situation and here are some suggestions/ ideas:

1) You could try to run Phaser on the the data processed as P4 BEFORE
detwinning and ask it to try all the possible space groups including the P422
and related ones.

2) Before step 1 or in parallel or following it, I would run the P4 processed
data (again NOT detwinned) through pointless and/or xtriage to see whether they
can give some indications for better choice of space group.

3) In my case, only running Phaser in P1 gave me a solution (the data were
initially processed as P4 but I reprocessed them in P1 for that purpose). It's
worth you trying too.

4)  Eventually, I ran the P1 model (8 mols.) and data in  Zanuda (on the York
site) and that gave me a new space group choice (P21212). When I ran Phaser in
this space group (after reprocessing the data again) it also gave a good
solution which I'm now refining (with twinning) either in Phenix or refmac but
without detwinning, since the program do this for you internally (I'm sure
about refmac and assume it's the same in Phenix).

I hope you'll find some of this helpful.

   Cheers,

             Boaz