An interesting guide to doing phasing "by hand" is to look at direct methods (I recommend Stout & Jensen's chapter on this). In general there are several choices for the origin in any given space group, so for the "first" reflection you set about trying to phase you get to resolve the phase ambiguity arbitrarily. In some cases, like P1, you can assign the origin to be anywhere in the unit cell. So, in general, you do get to phase one or two reflections essentially "for free", but after that, things get a lot more complicated.

Although for x-ray diffraction F000 may appear to be mythical (like the sound a tree makes when it falls in the woods), it actually plays a very important role in other kinds of "optics": the kind where the wavelength gets very much longer than the size of the atoms, and the scattering cross section gets to be very very high. A familiar example of this is water or glass, which do not absorb visible light very much, but do scatter it very strongly. So strongly, in fact, that the incident beam is rapidly replaced by the F000 reflection, which "looks" the same as the incident beam, except it lags by 180 degrees in phase, giving the impression that the incident beam has "slowed down". This is the origin of the index of refraction.

It is also easy to see why the phase of F000 is zero if you just look at a diagram for Bragg's law. For theta=0, there is no change in direction from the incident to the scattered beam, so the path from source to atom to direct-beam-spot is the same for every atom in the unit cell, including our "reference electron" at the origin. Since the structure factor is defined as the ratio of the total wave scattered by a structure to that of a single electron at the origin, the phase of the structure factor in the case of F000 is always "no change" or zero.

Now, of course, in reality the distance from source to pixel via an atom that is not on the origin will be _slightly_ longer than if you just went straight through the origin, but Bragg assumed that the source and detector were VERY far away from the crystal (relative to the wavelength). This is called the "far field", and it is very convenient to assume this for diffraction.

However, looking at the near field can give you a feeling for exactly what a Fourier transform "looks like". That is, not just the before- and after- photos, but the "during". It is also a very pretty movie, which I have placed here:

http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/nearBragg/near2far.html

-James Holton
MAD Scientist