The definition game is on! :)

Vectors are supposed to have direction and amplitude, unlike scalars.
Curiously, one can take a position that real numbers are vectors too, if
you consider negative and positive numbers having opposite directions
(and thus subtraction is simply a case of addition of a negative
number).  And of course, both scalars and vectors are simply tensors, of
zeroth and first order :)

Guess my point is that definitions are a matter of choice in math and if
vector is defined as an array which must obey addition and scaling rules
(but there is no fixed multiplication rule - regular 3D vectors have
more than one possible product), then complex numbers are vectors.  In a
narrow sense of a real space vectors (the arrow thingy) they are not.
Thus, complex number is a Vector, but not the vector (futile attempt at
using articles by someone organically suffering from article dyslexia).

Cheers,

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore