Hi Clemens,

Sorry to be picky and start the 'definition game' over again, but
'Miller indices' are strictly not the numbers that index X-ray
reflections that everyone is familiar with (whether observed or not!).
 Miller indices were introduced in 1839 by the British mineralogist
William Hallowes Miller (it says in WIkipedia) as a way of describing
the direction of the perpendicular to the plane faces that he observed
on mineral crystals.  A condition is that no common denominator is
possible, since it defines only the direction of a vector; its
magnitude has no relevance in this context.  So you can have Miller
indices (1,0,0), (1,2,0), (1,2,3) etc but you can't have (2,0,0),
(3,0,0), {2,4,0), (3,6,9) etc., or at least (1,0,0) means exactly the
same thing as (2,0,0) etc.  You can multiply the MiIler index vector
by -1: this indicates the opposite face of the crystal.  Imagine what
an electron density map would look like if you only collected
intensities at the Miller indices!

Miller's observation of the plane faces of mineral crystals occurred
73 years before the discovery in 1912 of X-ray diffraction by Max Laue
in Munich (he became Max von Laue in 1913 when his father was raised
to the nobility), for which Laue received the Nobel Prize in Physics
in 1914.  Laue explained diffraction by means of the 'Laue equations'
which contain 3 integers corresponding exactly to the indices we are
all familiar with.  I prefer to call them 'reflection indices', though
strictly I suppose we should be calling them 'Laue indices'.  Almost
immediately after Laue's discovery, William Lawrence Bragg in
Cambridge devised what we now know as "Bragg's Law", wherein the
factor 'n' relates the Miller indices to the Laue indices; thus the
reflection with indices (nh,nk,nl) is the n'th order of diffraction
from the set of crystal planes with Miller indices (h,k,l).  Bragg
also received the physics Nobel prize jointly with his father William
Henry Bragg in the following year, 1915, for their determination of
the crystal structures of NaCl, ZnS and diamond.

Cheers

-- Ian