Phil

Yes our processing pipeline absolutely has to be able to take in data
from any internal (in-house X-ray or synchrotron) or external (PDB or
collaborator's) source, including those where I, sigI and freeR flag
are present.  One of the first things I did was to modify truncate so
it would pass through the freeR flag column.  If the I/sigI are
present I always strip out the F/sigF columns.  So it seemed logical
to run truncate as the very last step, e.g.:

1. sortmtz
2. scala       Steps 1 & 2 only for internally collected or unmerged data.
3. refindex    External merged data enters pipeline here:
auto-re-index to reference.
4. cad          Sort; put into standard a.u.; add freeR column from
reference if not already present.
5. rescut      My own prog for auto-determination of resolution cutoff
based on shell <I/sigI> & completeness.
6. truncate   Apply resolution cutoff; if Is available convert to Fs.

I always run steps 3-6 in that order.  I always check that the
resolution cutoff is sensible & if Is are available I always run
truncate to ensure it's done properly (i.e. correct cell contents are
specified).  I'm still using truncate because AFAICS ctruncate
couldn't handle freeR flags (maybe that's fixed now, maybe not).  Also
truncate produces a more informative N(Z) plot which shows the
expected distribution for a twinned crystal (I believe this feature
has now been added to ctruncate).

Cheers

-- Ian