Dear Sergei,

since your Rmerge is high at low resolution even in P1, my guess is, that there was a problem either with the crystal or with the data collection. Fine slicing should improve the data quality, because your get a better description of the reference profiles and reduce the background. Different merging of fine-sliced images into "coarser-sliced" images was already systematically done by Wolfgang Kabsch, with the result, that finer slices gave better results, although slices much finer than half the full mosaicity angle of a reflection didn't improve the results much further (I've heard a talk given by Wolfgang, but never found a publication about these results). There is a publication in 1999 about fine-slicing by Jim Pflugrath, that you might want to read about this (Acta Cryst D55, 1718-1725). So, merging fine-sliced images into coarse-sliced probably won't help.

Anyway, good luck!

Dirk.