On Nov 5, 2010, at 16:57, Ronnie Berntsson wrote:

Dear Tassos,

I'm interested in your third point. Do you have any explanation for why 0.5-1 degrees oscillation gave better data? Purely due to the fact that the crystals survived longer and thus yielded higher redundancy data, or also other parameters?

No, x-ray beam survival had nothing to do with this. The dose was the same per degree, so the damage was the same in all, at least on principle, and from what I see in practice.

I simply think that the very low partiality of all reflections ends up with counts that are just above the noise (even for a well set up experiment and an excellent detector). The diffracting volume of these crystals in some orientation was really small! 1x40x70 microns, only, so the signals were very low. I think that the end integration goes wrong because images cannot be well refined with so low-count data. As soon as the reflections were stronger, things 'catch up'.

Also do anyone know where the threshold lies for when not to use fine phi slicing on the PILATUS? ie, at what level of diffraction would one need to increase the exposure (and oscillation in order to still get redundant data)?

In general, the slicing of the Pilatus works great for us. My only negative experience was really really small crystals.

We'll be in a similar position in the coming weeks with data collection using PILATUS detectors, and would like to maximize the potential data quality from our weak diffracting crystals. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

I would aim to be able to see nice spots, to at least 3.5 A: these would be enough to 'lock' the orientations, and I would expect either XDS or MOSFLM to integrate even very low signals.

A.

Cheers,
Ronnie Berntsson