I agree. It is very unlikely to be Magnesium ion; may be an ordered water!

 I'd recommend to have a look at the following paper which discusses the
different properties of Mg2+, Mn2+, and Zn2+.

   Charles W. Bock, Amy Kaufman Katz, George D. Markham, and Jenny P.
Glusker. Manganese as a replacement for Magnesium and Zinc: Functional
comparison of the divalent ions. (J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1999, 121, 7360-7372)

   Ibrahim