Dear Rex, Bernie and Fred,
The following paper bears on the question of generally slight, but not
always, R factor differences between published and recalculated
Rfactors.
[The paper is open access.]
Greetings,
John

J. Appl. Cryst. (2010). 43, 669-676    [ doi:10.1107/S0021889810015608 ]

phenix.model_vs_data: a high-level tool for the calculation of
crystallographic model and data statistics
P. V. Afonine, R. W. Grosse-Kunstleve, V. B. Chen, J. J. Headd, N. W.
Moriarty, J. S. Richardson, D. C. Richardson, A. Urzhumtsev, P. H.
Zwart and P. D. Adams
Abstract: phenix.model_vs_data is a high-level command-line tool for
the computation of crystallographic model and data statistics, and the
evaluation of the fit of the model to data. Analysis of all Protein
Data Bank structures that have experimental data available shows that
in most cases the reported statistics, in particular R factors, can be
reproduced within a few percentage points. However, there are a number
of outliers where the recomputed R values are significantly different
from those originally reported. The reasons for these discrepancies
are discussed.

structure validation; R factors.

--
Professor John R Helliwell DSc