I would not sharpen structure factors before refinement. It may cause problems
with B value refinement (a lot of B values may stuck around 2 or minimum B).
One must remember that not all atoms in crystal have same Bvalue. There is a
distribution of Bvalues.

However maps can be sharpened after refinement. It can be done directly in coot
(I hope this version of coot is now widely available). Or if you are using
refmac for refinement you can use:

mapc sharpen   #  regularised map sharpening. Bvalues and regularisation
parameters are calculated automatically

or

mapc sharpen <Bvalue> # regularised map sharpening with specified Bvalue

or

mapc sharpen <Bvalue>
mapc sharpen alpha <value=0.1>  #  regularisation paramater. alpha=0 is simple
sharpening.

I am sure other programs have similar options. (I know CNS has and it has been
used successfully by many people)

regards
Garib

P.S. These options available from refmac v5.6 available from;
www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/refmac/data/refmac_experimental/refmac5.6_linux.tar.gz