yes limited proteolysis is the best choice for the domain determination of
unknown protein from our lab some people did this. after doing
limited proteolysis just sequence digested part  N terminally or the C
terminally and find out the region from where its getting digested.
 side by side u can do fold prediction using phyre or u can use fold index
to know the compact part of the protein.

go through

J Biol Chem. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974091> 2008 Dec
26;283(52):36532-41. Epub 2008 Oct 30.
Characterization of Rv3868, an essential hypothetical protein of the ESX-1
secretion system in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

Luthra A<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Luthra%20A%22%5BAuthor%5D>
, Mahmood
A<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Mahmood%20A%22%5BAuthor%5D>
, Arora A<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Arora%20A%22%5BAuthor%5D>