That is exactly what HYDENS is doing. A good interpolation with small grid steps should be equally good but with current computers and just a few hundred or even thousand points to evaluate, a classical Fourier summation is pretty fast and, for me, easier to program than a proper cubic-spline interpolation.

Bart