I would think thing here is that this protein actually associates to those lipid nanodiscs...(around the "disc") and Na cholate CMC is around 10 mM. so, yes you can solubilise proteins that bind lipids, the question is does this protein bind lipids or not? or is it just scrambled or whatever, doesnt like to be overexpressed etc??? or sticky because it is part of a larger complex naturally and not stable alone, for instance. which i wouldn't know of course.

regards,
Tommi