At the risk of asking a question to which I should already know the answer:

do partials "count" as "redundancy"?

That is, in SCALA, is the number of "observations" the number of recorded spots? Or is it the number of recorded spots after adding partials? If it is the latter, what happens if you collect more than 360 degrees of data? Does the second pass through a given unmerged hkl index count as "more partials" or is it now somehow upgraded to an "independent" observation?

Then again, in Eastern English the word "redundancy" has a negative connotation, and the output of SCALA actually uses the word "multiplicity". I wonder if that makes unmerged partials "redundant"?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist