On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 05:07 +0100, Sean Seaver wrote:
> Spoiler - Fabs like ammonium sulfate.

Not really - in my hands the ammonium sulfate was one hit out of 7.

While Ivan's question is about Fab complexes with protein antigen, I
think it brings up a more general question of protein class-dependent
crystallization bias.  While some general trends exist for classes of
biopolymers (e.g. MPD is number one precipitant for DNA; protein:DNA
complexes tend to crystallize in PEG-based conditions), a general idea
of assigning a preferred precipitant to a protein class is, imho,
pointless.  Fabs are a good example - one would think that with half of
the protein more or less the same in all instances some general trends
should exist.  And perhaps they do, as this

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0907444999016224

seems to suggest.  But alas, Fab crystallization conditions, once you
look into it, appear to be just as diverse as the same for proteins in
general.  Crystallization conditions may change radically upon point
mutation, so why would one expect that a class of proteins sharing some
50% identity will show unusual love for PEG, ammonium sulfate, sodium
malonate or any other "miracle precipitant"?

Consider this.  Thanks to great engineering at the Douglas Instruments,
we can routinely set up ~1000 drops for a given protein.  If one of them
shows a crystalline shower, we celebrate.  To me, the fact that we try
wrong crystallization conditions 99.9% of the time, proves that any
attempt to predict crystallization conditions beyond vague things like
"keep pH close to protein pI", "sodium malonate is cool", "PEG and
ammonium sulfate are two most successful precipitants in history of
protein crystallography", etc., is futile.  Time wasted on looking into
what is the most common precipitant for a particular class of proteins
is better spent on setting up more trays.

Cheers,

Ed.

--
Oh, suddenly throwing a giraffe into a volcano to make water is crazy?
                                                Julian, King of Lemurs