Message below...

Dear Nat,

I think this has actually been implemented, at least on the European side of
things. I've recently uploaded some structures to the PDB, via the EBI's
deposition service, and was given a link to the ePDB, with this very useful
information.  Admittedly, I should have forwarded this to the Journal - but
didn't. Something to definitely remember for next time I guess.

In my mind's eye, this is how it could work - The "reviewer's" view would be
available directly from the PDB, so that you are only depositing data once, and
making thing's that bit more secure  -  a unique URL could then be given to the
depositor, who would then forward this onto to the journal where they want
their paper to be published.   Something along the lines of a Kinemage would
work well I guess, so a judgment could be made as to how well the model fits
the electron density, by a knowledgable crystallographic reviewer

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Aug 2011, at 15:03, "Nat Echols"
<<mailto:nathaniel.ech...@gmail.com>nathaniel.ech...@gmail.com<mailto:nathaniel.ech...@gmail.com>>
 wrote:

2011/8/11 Antony Oliver
<<mailto:antony.oli...@sussex.ac.uk><mailto:antony.oli...@sussex.ac.uk>antony.oli...@sussex.ac.uk<mailto:antony.oli...@sussex.ac.uk>>
Surely in this ''modern age" data could be uploaded to "review server" whereby
a reviewer could be given privileged access - to be able to see the model and
maps, via something like AstexViewer, to gauge the quality and reliability of
modelling - without actually getting the PDB coordinates or structure factors
until a manuscript is accepted for publication?

Wasn't part of the point of the PDB's Validation Task Force to design a
comprehensive validation report that could be made accessible to reviewers,
which would capture as many problems as possible with the model and data?  If
you pull together all of the quality measures from the various programs
currently in use, it would have made many of the issues with this structure
very obvious without needing to view the structure itself.  (I like your idea,
but I think it's actually fairly difficult to keep the data private - although
converting to an intermediate format like the Molprobity kinemages would be a
partial solution.)

-Nat