Dear All,

What type of software are people commonly using these days for vector/ plasmid map editing, making/visualizing vector maps, and aligning (small to medium size) DNA sequencing data? Preferably, it should not be too expensive and be able to write text files, readable by other programs.

I am familiar with VectorNTI, which is great for vector visualization and editing; but I find it somewhat expensive. Sequencher seems good to quickly align DNA sequences (such as from DNA sequencing) with templates, but is not free. I have been using ApE for while for alignments, but aligning many sequences is more cumbersome than in Sequencher; I have not tested if Sequencher is good at visualizing and editing plasmid maps.

Ideally, I would like to have a single program for both purposes (vector editing and DNA sequence comparison). Does something like that exist? What are the alternatives to above programs?

Thank you in advance.

Florian

Florian Schmitzberger, PhD
Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
Harvard Medical School
250 Longwood Avenue, Seeley G. Mudd 123
Boston, MA 02115, US
Tel: 001 617 432 5603