On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Jacqueline Vitali
<jackie.vit...@gmail.com>wrote:

> (2) Second option is an IMAC 4 GB 2.5 GHz with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
> GDDRS.
>
> --How does Coot work with this graphics card?

I don't have exactly this, but something very similar (6770M), and it works
very well for me so far, but I'm not a power user.  And I definitely don't
use stereo, which I assume the iMac won't do.

--Should I get more memory for Lion?

Yes, absolutely - double it for sure.  (Don't upgrade when ordering from
Apple unless you have money to burn - you can buy the memory elsewhere for a
fraction of the price.)  Most of the time you will not need 8GB, but when
you want to use all four processor cores at once for refinement etc., it is
essential.

--Is this platform advisable for crystallographic software for the next four
> years?

For a workstation (or laptop), yes (for clusters/servers I would still
recommend Linux).  I don't know of any macromolecular crystallography
programs that don't run on Mac - my only real complaint is that I really
preferred running Coot on Linux (Apple's fault).  However, if you care about
having hardware stereo, there may be other issues - I have no experience
with this.

-Nat