I use home built LINUX Intel boxes with 2Gb memory and low end Nvidia cards
(GT 8000 series to GT 200 series) and they are fine with Coot, Pymol, CCP4i.
I can even run CrysalisPro (Windows) in WINE. More memory is cheap to add.
If you use a Ubuntu LTS release, you get 3 yr of updates. Proprietary Nvidia
binaries can be downloaded from the Ubuntu repos, and they will reinstall
every time you do a kernel update. Ubuntu has been pretty painless to
maintain compared to Fedora, at least when I made the switch.

Roger Rowlett