Dear Kavya,

If I understand your question correctly, it is about the choice of asymmetric
unit for your deposition. In case of dimeric asymmetric unit (ASU), there are,
indeed, a few valid possibilities and you arrive to just one of them in the
course of structure solution. What you decide to deposit, is your own choice,
and I would think that the PDB can suggest an alternative but they would not
really insist on it (hopefully).

In case when ASU has the same multiplicity (number of chains) as the probable
biological assembly, the latter is an ASU as well. In such a case, the PDB
suggests to choose ASU in the form of that assembly, purely for simplicity. It
seems to me that this is not an unreasonable suggestion and it would be nice if
that were a common practice. I do not want to imply here that PISA will always
make a correct prediction, therefore, one should always be critical and use as
much experimental evidence as possible. However, deposition of biological
assembly as ASU, where possible, is always preferential irrespectively of
whether the assembly agrees with PISA predictions or not. Preferential does not
mean mandatory though :)

I hope this helps,

Eugene.