As a self-declared "MAD Scientist" I suppose I should chime in.

The acronym "MAD" has indeed appeared by several different names in the literature. Here is the "Google vote": "multiwavelength anomalous diffraction" - 16500 articles in Google Scholar (including Yang et. al. (1990))
"multiwavelength anomalous dispersion" - 6890 articles
"multiple anomalous dispersion" - 3250 articles
"multiple anomalous diffraction" - 956 articles
"multiple anomalous difference" - 3 articles

Clearly, there are thousands of publications that have gotten this "wrong", but which thousands is uncertain. I fully understand that Google Scholar is not the final authority on ... anything, and popular vote is not always the best way to settle scientific naming conventions either. For example, I am still calling Pluto a planet. I am also never going to call San Francisco's Candlestick Park by any of its new names (3COM Park, Monster Park, and now back to Candlestick!). And the "Artist Formerly Known as Prince" was always "Prince" to me. The reason for my personal inertia about name changes is that I need to hear a scientifically compelling reason for them. Why do I care? Because the scientific literature is supposed to be archival, and as a scholar who often finds himself going through this archive trying to find the original reference for various things, I find “nomenclature drift” endlessly infuriating. Then again, the name given by the originating author is not always the best name either. Nobody calls Patterson maps an "F-square synthesis" (as Patterson did).

Oh, and although many lemmings do drown in big rivers and even the ocean, their legendary periodic mass suicide runs have been greatly exaggerated. A few years back, the Disney film crew who made the "White Wilderness" documentary admitted that the little guys did need some "encouragement" for the really good shots they wanted.

So, it would appear that even lemmings have some sense in their tiny little heads? Do we? Does anyone have a scientifically compelling reason to call MAD something other than "multiwavelength anomalous diffraction"?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist