Radiation damage induced loss of definition of disulfide bridges, side chain carboxylates, and certain histidine residues has been observed in synchrotron-irradiated protein crystals. For example, see Weik et al., PNAS 2000, 97, 623. I have also seen a recent paper where radiation damage of a bound protein ligand was apparently observed in a synchrotron beam.

I look forward to hearing from others how best to handle this in refinement.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor