Dear Bernard,

arp_waters is a very old code and it gets even older as we speak.

Try to use ARP/wARP version 7.2, where you can run the same task:
from the command line ($warpbin/auto_solvent.sh)
from the CCP4i GUI (ARP/wARP Solvent)
from ArpNavigator (Model Solvent)

There should be both 32 and 64-bit versions.

Best regards,
Victor