I'd suggest:

- Find a dinosaur from my generation who can suck one into a capillary and
check diffraction at room T.

- Try using those loops that look like miniature tennis paddles to give the
crystal a little more support

- To minimize strain on the crystal when pulling it out of the drop, try to get
its long dimension perpendicular to the air-water interface (usually easier
said than done).

- Try to find conditions where the crystals don't start to redissolve while you
mount them